Sunday 14 April 2013

In my oil burner this winter.


I love winter.


Sitting in a favourite chair – rugged up with a hot drink (preferably chocolate) and a great book or some sort of hand craft.
To add to the atmosphere I like to put my oil burner on.  It helps bring the smells of nature inside and makes the house fresh and inviting. You can buy pre-blended essential oils but why not try blending your own?




I begin with one of my favourite essential oils, Rose Geranium; it has an earthy sweet fragrance that is both comforting and uplifting. To this I add the heady Ylang Ylang and finish off with Orange or Bergamot to add a delicate freshness.

Next step; add a drop of each into a small glass or porcelain bowl. This is my beginning point, so next I smell the blend and decide how I want to balance it. For this blend I would generally settle for:


2 drops Rose Geranium
1 drop Ylang Ylang
3 drops Bergamot 

If there is a cold brewing in the house I often add
2 drops Lavender
(I sometimes substitute the Ylang Ylang for a drop of Patchouli or a drop of Eucalyptus)

The possible combinations are endless, even if you only have a few oils, because it’s not only the combinations of oils that you use but also the variation of concentrations



When I get a ‘free’ moment I like to make up a larger quantity and store it in small bottle (generally an empty essential oil bottle that has been washed and dried) for those days when I don’t have time to make a new blend.

Do you have a favourite essential oil or combination?

While we do not have all the essential oils I have mentioned listed on our website, we do have them in the shop so if you’re interested in these or other oils please feel free to email us

No comments:

Post a Comment